Written by our Communications Coordinator – Charni Wiggins
- Have 3-5 questions prepared for the end of your interview. E.g.
- On a typical day, what would I do in the chosen role?
- What made you (the interviewer) become interested and pursue a career in IT?
- Ask a question about a specific part of the role.
It is ok to ask to refer to your notes to read your questions at this point.
- Be positive and remember that you will never have a second chance to make a good first impression. A simple question such as “How was your journey?” can tell the interviewer more than you think. “Terrible, the worst journey ever!” Even if it was the worst journey, it doesn’t sound great as the first thing you that comes out of your mouth. “Great, no problems, very easy.” This sounds much more positive, and ensures that you make the best first impression possible. Better to be safe than sorry.
- Be mindful of your presence. Make sure to compose yourself, have full attention and concentration before you begin your interview. Your attitude during your interview will indicate to the interviewer your attitude inside the workplace. For example, it is important that you do not appear rushed or too laid back as the employer will be looking for the most prepared, eager and conscientious candidate.
- Act natural. The best interviews sound more like a formal conversation rather than a rehearsed question and answer session. If you have a question to ask before the end, don’t worry to ask, this shows that you are actively listening and indicates particular interest in the role and company.
- Be you. Make sure to be yourself in the interview, the employer is looking for somebody who they think will fit in nicely with the company, not just do the job – we hope. If you are feeling nervous, take a breath and remember that you are also looking for a position that you will feel comfortable in and are happy with. Your needs are just as important as the employers.
- Be polite and smile.
Tune in next week, where we expand on how to use the CAR method for providing examples no employer can argue with.
Are you interested in a tech Apprenticeship? Register for our next Reboot Camp™, we would love to have you!